Having developed from the oldest place of worship within Dumfries, the present Gothic Revival church was built in 1868, on the site of a previous church and close to the original Greyfriars monastery. Greyfriars Church has long been the site for the town’s Christmas tree. Up until at least the new millennium, and perhaps until recent years, the tree in Dumfries was a gift from the people of Norway. Apparently Christmas cards are still exchanged, however!
 Canmore, ‘Dumfries, Greyfriars Church’ [accessed 8.3.2017] <https://canmore.org.uk/site/65553/dumfries-greyfriars-church>
 Isabelle C. Gow, Nithsdale at War (Catrine: Stenlake, 2011), p.67