Until 1966 Maxwelton House was still in the possession of the Laurie family who had it built in the seventeenth century. From January 1941 it was given over to the Norwegian Army’s field battery, under the command of Major Ringdal. The soldiers apparently developed a warm relationship with Mrs Laurie, wife of the owner General Laurie, then a colonel. She visited them several times and even wrote a “pleasant and humorous farewell letter” when they relocated to Inch, according to Captain Ingvald Marm. Later in the war the Norwegian nursing service was based here.
 Canmore website, Maxwelton House page [accessed 19.4.2017] <https://canmore.org.uk/site/65111/maxwelton-house>
 Isabelle C. Gow, Nithsdale at War (Catrine: Stenlake, 2011), p.70
 Iasabelle C. Gow, Old Moniaive, Dunscore and the Cairn Valley (Catrine: Stenlake, 2013), p.30