Norge Hus was the social hub for Norwegians in Dumfries and the original headquarters of the Scottish Norwegian Society, it also housed workshops and stores for the Army. Until 1940 the building at Church Place had been Oughton’s Restaurant, but after it went out of business the Commercial Bank of Scotland’s General Manager J.M. Erskine offered its use to the Norwegians for a canteen and recreational facilities.
Major Olaus Myrseth, a SNS founding member who served as Quartermaster for Norge Hus, ensured the Society’s office and clubrooms could be accomodated in the building. As Erik Aanensen recounts: