RAF Dumfries airfield was opened in 1940 and for periods during the war became very active. Like other airfields across the region it was used to train pilots, and by 1945 over 400 training courses had been delivered there. Its proximity to the Arrol Johnston factory, by now manufacturing aircraft rather than cars, also saw the airfield used to deliver spare parts by air – the completed planes were actually shipped by rail to Renfrew aerodrome. Both under direct British command and as a distinct Norwegian Brigade, units of Norwegian soldiers often guarded local military sites such as the airfield at Heathhall. Various businesses now occupy the hangars, but the control tower houses Dumfries & Galloway Aviation Museum.
 D&G Aviation Museum, ‘History of RAF Dumfries’ [accessed 4.3.2017]
 Canmore, ‘Dumfries, Heathhall Airfield’ [accessed 4.3.2017]
 Giancarlo Rinaldi, Great Dumfries Stories (Glasgow: Bell & Bain, 2005), p.54